Trumpet Reference - MM / MC Vacuum Tube Phono Preamp
The Trumpet Reference is a true reference-class phonostage for the most demanding of audiophiles. Based on the original Trumpet (stereophile class-A recommended component), it adds pushbutton control of all functions, a second input, and upgrades many of the components. The chassis has also been changed to reflect the reality of equipment racks by putting the power supply and amplifier boards in a side-by-side configuration. Status LEDs on the front panel indicate operational settings of the various functions. In addition to standard RIAA equalization, three other curves used in the LP 'microgroove' era have been included. A wired remote allows for full control from your listening chair. The circuitry is fully-balanced from input to output, including the choke regulated power supplies. Each gain stage operates in class A and employs no feedback, for a more pure and accurate sound. This combination of features, convenience, and sonic performance are unmatched at this price.
- 44dB (MM) / 64dB, 70dB (MC) gain (1kHz)
- 47k (MM) / 1k, 322, 181, 131, 91, 76, 64, 57 ohm input impedance (selectable)
- 800 ohm output impedance
- +/-0.5dB equalization
- 8Hz to 500kHz bandwidth (-3dB)
- <0.05% distortion (1kHz)
- 70dBA signal-to-noise (ref 0.5mV)
- 17 x 12 x 5 inches
- 120V / 240V
- 12AX7 x 2, 12AU7 x 2
- "... the new Hagerman Audio Labs Trumpet Reference tubed/solid-state phono stage ($7200) combines visual elegance, high build quality, exceptional sound, and (wired) remote control ... Set to 70dB gain, the Trumpet Reference easily and quietly amplified the Ortofon Anna cartridge's ultra-low (0.2mV) output, producing both more than enough gain and reasonably wide dynamics. The JFET front end was sufficiently neutral not to interfere with the Trumpet's pleasingly but not overwhelmingly tubey sound ... relative warmth and generous sustain ... The Trumpet Reference produced a more relaxed, graceful sound that, on one level, sounded less electronic and more acoustic ... more musical, less mechanical sound ... produced a superbly rich orchestral and, especially, piano sound ..." - Michael Fremer
- "Spotted in the Wes Bender Audio room the new (Jim) Hagerman Trumpet Reference MC/MM phono preamplifier. Uses 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes. Features both MC and MM inputs with a wired remote control for all adjustment functions also available on front panel." - Michael Fremer
- "I have had the opportunity to hear the Hagerman Trumpet Reference on several occasions. What I heard made a very favorable impression on me. The soundstage was wide, deep and fully populated. The images within the stage were clearly delineated. The sound wasn't particularly warm nor was it cold. The Trumpet seems to just get out of the way and allows you to hear just how good your turntable and cartridge really are. The instrumental timbres were rich and full. Bass performance was outstanding. This phono stage will have you reaching for your best recordings, it's just that good. I believe that the Trumpet Reference is yet another landmark product from Jim Hagerman." - Henry Wilkenson
- "Set up was a breeze. I had downloaded the manual from your website previously (a nice feature) and familiarized myself with operation. Been playing music several days. Best phono stage in my system so far. Love the silver finish, it is beautiful."